"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

Sunday, May 8, 2011

There's Never Enough Words...

Thank you! It just doesn't say enough sometimes. We send out thank you notes and letters hoping they do justice the gratitude that we actually feel for what someone did for us or how great they made us feel, but it just never says what we intended to get across in the message. Still, there are no two more appropriate words to use. So, to all my family and friends who made this weekend one of the most memorable, wonderful weekends of my life, I offer you those two greatly important words - thank you!

For anyone out of the loop, this weekend was my "30th  Birthday/Mother's Day Weekend!" It began Thursday evening, the night before my birthday. Kaylee's four-year-old excitement could be held back no further, and she and her daddy decided to give me my presents early! There was no wrapping paper to rip through nor any bows to discard, but a wonderful surprise awaited me. After months of hints about the poor speed of my old college computer, kindly named Nelly (we needed a sweet name for her when we were encouraging her to be productive), Gene took all the money from a side job he'd been working on the weekends and bought me a new laptop, wireless printer, router and external hardrive! Gene's never been a flowers and candy kind of guy, but he is more of an all or nothing man. My first birthday we celebrated when we were dating, I got a, "Happy Birthday!" Yep, that's it! My first Mother's Day, he neglected to even give me a card, much less a gift of any kind. After a day full of pouting, I did manage to get a dinner at Olive Garden out of him. He claimed that he had no idea that you were supposed to celebrate Mother's Day. Really?!!! I don't want to sound shallow, so let me make it clear. I have told him that he never has to spend money to get me a gift. A flower picked from the ground and a note scribbled on a sheet of paper would mean more to me than anything! That's just not his style, though. He's a go big, all the way, make her remember man when getting a gift, and he did a great job this time! I'd say he may be trying to make up for those past misgivings! (For those of you wondering, I always get him the coolest new toys he eyeballs, as well as make him all kinds of his favorite goodies!) That's beside the point, so back to the matter at hand. It was the start of my birthday weekend, and I thought the weekend was off to a great start!

Friday morning began as it always does. Gene left before the sun came up, but whispered, "Happy Birthday!" as he kissed me goodbye and went on his way to work. I slept a little while longer, but I suppose the excitement of the impending weekend was upon me! I went ahead and got up, showered, and fixed myself a cup of "birthday coffee." (Regular coffee, but it sounds more fun this way!) I sat down to check out my new laptop and work on learning to make a prettier blog. Exciting, I know! Kaylee finally awoke, and I fixed her some breakfast and turned on "her shows." She thought for a minute, and then wished me a happy birthday with a sleepy smile! I went about my day tidying up a bit, putting things away and prepping for any surprise company that we might get for the weekend. Before I knew it, it was lunch time. I asked Kaylee if she'd like to go eat. She said, "You can make me lunch." I made myself more clear that it was my birthday, and cooking was not on my list of things to do for the day. She obliged, and we headed to town for a nice lunch at Kelly's Cafe. We hadn't been there before, but Kaylee found PB&J on the menu and was immediately hooked! I settled on a salad, looking forward to the big dinner I'd be eating later that evening. We finished up and came home for Kaylee to nap and for me to finish getting my house presentable. When Gene arrived home that evening, the whole family went to town, and we ate a delicious dinner at Crossroads Steakhouse & Saloon. Here's a photo of me with my two loves at dinner!

The next day was the big day - party day! I had been so down the past year about turning 30, I wasn't sure that I wanted a party. Then, I went to help a few of my other friends celebrate their's, and it made me want one. My family put together a celebration that far exceeded what I deserved, and I enjoyed every single moment! I got to spend some special time with family that I see only a couple times a year, and I had a chance to visit with so many friends, old and new! The kids played in the big pool, even though it was crazy cold, and in some kiddie pools we set up, as well. They all got along wonderfully! Kaylee told me later that night that I have fun birthday parties just like her! I even got to take a photo with some very special ladies for my birthday! These girls were matron of honor, bridesmaid and maid of honor in my wedding, and we did the same photo at our housewarming party two years ago, but I don't seem to have a digital copy of it to attach at the moment. I do have to say that I think we've all gotten better with age!

It was, by far, the best birthday I've ever had! If I had to change a thing, it would have been to have more time to visit with everyone and perhaps a few other important people, ones that couldn't make it for one reason or another, to be able to have come. To those of you that were there, I love you and look forward to many more happy memories with you in the future!

I've got to say that after those two days were over, I knew my luck had to be running out. Things were going way too perfect! The plan for Mother's Day was to take the boat out to Canyon Lake for some fun in the sun the way we used to when we were growing up. The weather forecast was not looking great, though, and to no avail, it took my plans and threw them in my face! (Everyone together now, "Awwwwww...") Don't feel too bad for me, though! Determined to make lemonade out of lemons, we "Moms" hounded the "Dads" until they read our minds and decided to take us out for a nice lunch! There was much more drama involved there, but I'll let you read between the lines. We didn't hit the road until noon, so we anticipated a wait at any restaurant we chose. Pappadeaux in San Antonio was the choice, and two hours was the wait! We killed the first hour with a cocktail from the bar, and made it through the second hour with trips to the restroom for some relief from the heat and humidity outside. Here's my baby girl and me waiting out on the porch!

It was three o'clock when we were seated at our table and nearly five o'clock when we left to head back home with happy, full bellies! We thought we'd take a dip in the pool when we made it back home, but it was definitely more of a "dip the toes in" day for Mama. We settled with letting the kids and Gene enjoy a cool, crisp swim while we all enjoyed a short visit before it was time to head home. The best part of the day - spending it with the most important Mamas in my life and the Daddies and children that helped make us Mamas! I love you all, dearly, and I hope you enjoyed the day as much as I did!

So, there it is! Lots of words to sum up a fantastic weekend, but not even close to enough to have you understand the profound affect it had on my heart! I have only begun to experience what is to come in my third decade of life, but I like what I've seen so far! Thank you to all of my family and friends for this remarkable leap into a beautiful life to come!

Love and Blessings,
Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment